Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

There is trouble in my heart I said.

Weeks back I wasn't feeling all that well. I put it off for ages but needed to get to the doctor for a few things so while I was there I also mentioned that actually, I wasn't feeling all that great. Often, I had this ridiculous feeling that I was having a heart attack. Other times I felt so dizzy I thought I might faint.

There is trouble in my heart I said.

My doctor decided it was best to get some tests done, blood tests,  ECG and stuff but I really don't like blood tests, I faint, I get embarrassed, I can't drive myself home. Stupid stuff, but it is what it is.

Dad came to stay and he needed a blood test before his unicorn dust was to be administered, so we had a blood test date together. I drove there, we chatted in the waiting room, I went in first, survived and then he went in next (I guess he survived that one), he drove home, we talked about how my old car was still going ok, that it should get another year or two out of it. We talked about nothing, just talking.

The next day Dad headed off for his dose of Unicorn dust and from there he would be going home with Mum. I waved them off and the feelings came on.

I could barely breathe, I wanted to sit down, but my heart was pumping too fast. Something was wrong with me. I started to think I better call the doctor to see when the results would be in.  This trouble in my heart it was getting worse.

Half an hour later I was ok.

The doctor called and made an appointment for me to see him the following week.

I couldn't make it because by then Dad hadn't survived and I was off in the country wandering around thinking this situation is just really fucking shit.

But all week long and all the following week, there was trouble in my heart still.

When I got home I went to the doctor who confirmed that actually there was nothing wrong with my heart. My tests showed I was totally ok.

But there is trouble in your heart he said.

It is grief, it is anxiety and you are going to feel it. He suggested that it was best to grieve openly, to be weak. He said there was no benefit in 'being strong', that grieving is something best met head on and riding through, not pretending it isn't there.

So I have. The anxiety is nearly gone. It was run out of town by the amazing people I am lucky enough to have in my life. Many of them I barely know, they are late night tweets or early morning texts, or they are meals in my freezer and cards in the mail. They are people who send me messages on Christmas day that just say, I hope you're ok or that understand when I keep saying no to invitations I am not up to.

There is still trouble in my heart, but it is the black cloud variety not the dodgy artery kind and black clouds always always get replaced by rainbows, someday.



22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. I know those feelings. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you love and light. I hope those rainbows start to appear soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rainbows will come back, but in the mean time, know that you are loved and there are many people who care about you and we will all be waiting when you are ready xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautiful, Claire. Sending lots of love from my heart to yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grieve as you need to. You'll get through the other side in your own time and way xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you all the love and light I can muster. The cloud will lift, and know while you wait we are here for you. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to send you my heart, but it breaks for you too. The storm will pass and soon you will notice the beauty of the rain. xo Be kind to yourself xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you darling girl. Your wisdom and capacity to reflect on yourself and on life inspire me every time I read your writing. You describe feelings that are, for different reasons, so very familiar to me. Always here and looking forward to a cuppa soon xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a rough time Claire. It WILL pass as I'm sure others have reassured you. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes, look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After losing someone just over 12 months ago, I felt very similar. Someone told me to stop trying to be strong and that simple advice made such a difference. I started to grieve 3 months after her funeral and the fog did lift. It was not quick, it wasn't easy, but eventually I started to feel better. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take care Claire and know it is okay to grieve, there is no right or wrong way. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's hoping that that someday is soon. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post Claire. Sometimes I think the trouble is meant to be there as a reminder - not that you've lost something, but that you still have it and can call on it at any time.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank the Lord that he puts people in our lives to encourage us in our time of need!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!