Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2016

The saying I hate the most in the world.







A couple of months ago when lumpy was first discovered, my world was a major stress zone.

Major. Every waking moment I tried to concentrate on being positive and using my energy to get through the day without booking a plot for myself at the local cemetery. Sounds pretty extreme right now as I am fully fit and recovered, at the time, not so much.

One night I scrolled through my Instagram and saw some happy person deciding to share their message of the day to the world. It was all so simple for them, just 'CHOOSE HAPPY', they cried out to me. Implying that I was making a decision to be fearful, anxious, scared, lonely, terrified and all I had to do was shake my head three times and pick happiness instead.

When you are dealing with shit times, someone sending you a CHOOSE HAPPINESS image is possibly the worst thing ever.

Click over to Pinterest and search Choose Happy and you will get hundreds of pretty pictures reminding you how easy it is to just be happy. You just have to choose to be.

Please take your Choose Happy/Happiness/Joy posters and keep them neatly in your own handbag. The people who are finding it hard to smile that day, it's probably for a bigger reason than you have felt. If they are grieving for a much loved person they shouldn't be happy! They should be sad, let them be sad, it's ok for people to really miss someone. It's probably even ideal if they cry about it and feel pretty miserable for a certain amount of time.

If you have a friend who has some type of health issue to overcome, they might need support for awhile, encouragement, reminding that they are not alone and that others are going to support them along for awhile, especially on days when they can't cope on their own. Suggesting they just Choose Happy, is like a smack to the face.

Some people live constantly with a piece of them that is fighting a black cloud. They don't like the black cloud that hovers over them and threatens to smother them when they least expect it. They wish it wasn't happening to them and some days they get on top of things better than others, but I promise you, this is never because you sent them a text message saying. "Hey, Be Happy!"

Also, it's boring. Share something else instead.




8 comments:

  1. I hear you - I'm so sick of all the happy clappy crap that is being rammed down our throats right now. I feel those who spout such sayings are just trying to convince themselves they are happy. It's not about choosing to be happy, it's about being able to cope with what's happening in our every day lives. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Are they trying to tell you to be happy to convince themselves they can do the same.

      Delete
  2. I saw a logo on a tshirt the other day - from a popular activewear chain that shall not be named - that said "I really, really, really love my life." Um, OK, who are you trying to convince?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Choose happy is so much easier said than done. Are people really all that happy or is it just a day to day struggle where at times you feel happy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's my most hated too.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!