Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Bathroom Renovations: Fun or fight filled?

Renovating a bathroom is one of those things that seems like such a great idea at the time. Flash new  tiles, showers without cracks in them, grout that is not black and taps where the water stops running  when you turn them off.

Then you go shopping as a couple to choose a tap, or a basin, or a tile and all of a sudden that great idea is not feeling so joyful.

One of you prefers the budget option, one of you prefers the functional, better looking nicer option.

Together you have excitedly booked the first of the tradesman who will need the bathroom for 8 days, he is arriving in a week. It seems neither of you considered that it takes two weeks for the vanity you want to be ordered and the custom made version will take 6 weeks. Do you go for a bathroom minus a vanity for six weeks or choose the inferior version, or worse still race to ikea and see how you go with a flat pack?

As for taps, who pays $2000 plus for a shower head and $1500 for the matching taps? Who are these people and have they not heard of Bunnings? Or at least tell me, how do you convert your husband into becoming one of these people.

I'm looking forward to seeing and using the new bathroom, but I'm not sure what I am going to end up with in a couple of weeks time, I do know that I am going to be a lazy slob and not clean the tiles for the week considering they are about to have a date with a crowbar.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man I so identify with this Claire. Mr & I fought our way through every detail of our renovation to date even though our taste is quite similar in reality....& we still live in a partially renovated house & the bathroom hasn't been touched as yet. Our next project will be to redecorate the lounge & until now I've always compromised on furniture etc but I've now instituted two rules - she who bares the purse strings may just arrange for delivery van to arrive with her choices. & she who stays home/works from home most gets more say than he who isn't home as often. I look forward to seeing what your new bathroom looks like & I wouldn't clean the tiles either! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. my parents never stopped renovating. I still get a bit of a cold sweat when I think of it. oh the trauma.
    But I love a home reno show and when we look at houses to buy I imagine renovating it. I must be crazy. I think you should chose the vanity you most want and then reschedule the tiler. you have to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such an awesome job by sharing this. Thanks for sharing....
    Bathroom renovations Cremorne

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!