Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Happiness from the hard rubbish.

Twice a year a special thing happens in the burbs.

Hard Rubbish Day.

The council let us know weeks in advance of the day they expect to be in our street and people start erecting piles of odd items they no longer need. The council never turns up on the day advertised, they wait an extra week in the hope that half the stuff will be gone already.


This week the nature strips are sinking with massive big televisions that don't pick up digital channels. Where do they all go? Is there some horrible hole in the earth filled with 25 years of big fat black boxes?

I hate to think of the amount of rubbish that is placed in landfill. It is the one area where I try extra hard to be a greenie. We place stuff out on our nature strip all year long, never has it lasted more than two days, our trash, someone else's treasure.




When Immy and I went for a walk to the park I spotted an old tupperware container in a box. I grabbed it and saw many more. We walked home with me carrying six tupperware containers (quite difficult when holding hands with a three year old) and I asked Mr H if he would walk down and get some more with me. He screwed up his face. The idea of 'taking' this stuff makes him uncomfortable. Once when I got him to pull over while I grabbed some chairs he drove off and parked around the corner, making me walk with the chairs to the car. Yet he loves it when he knows our junk has found a new home.

Photobomber expert 
I have spent a couple of hours soaking my vintage tupperware in pine o clean, it has hit the dishwasher for an extra scrub and now it's looking pretty good. I am deciding what to fill it with, but whatever ends up in it, I expect it will be getting another twenty years of use around here.

Filthy old tupperware has made my day.



Do you pick things up?

18 comments:

  1. Last hard rubbish in our area I spied two vintage danish style chairs, they now sit nicely in the kid's lounge waiting for summer when I have time to restore them properly.

    Hubby hates collecting things, but as he has now missed out on an art deco sideboard and a bow fronted chest of drawers with his dilly dallying (yes, this is they type of hard rubbish around here) he has decided next time it comes around he'll be on the ball.

    We have 2nd hand store owners driving around with trailers, a bloke does a roaring trade collecting scrap metal, and I'm pretty sure when the kids leave the curtains open and the light on while they sit glued to the computer screen the across the road neighbours can see their unwanted chairs in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE hard rubbish but we no longer have it now that we are country kids. We go to the "tip shop" and the recycle yard but its not the same

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had hard rubbish days round here. The treasures you can find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss hard rubbish... but my mum is an expert at spotting stuff. We currently have three different trikes with the handle to push them... all form hard rubbish!

    Awesome Tuppa find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We left one of ours out for hard rubbish and six months later saw it down the road out again!

      Delete
  5. Oh memories! Not of picking through rubbish piles, but that yellow tupperware from my childhood. Mum had a whole pantry full of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I could not believe the things I picked up from the curb during the 2 years we lived in Sydney. And the things people threw out were amazing. We don't have this council service in Tasmania and you have to go to the local tip and pay a small fortune for people's junk so you can imagine my delight having it all there on the side of the road FOR FREE. My hubby was a bit like yours about my 'finds' but I think it is a very effective way to recycle. Enjoy your Tupperware, that would make me quite happy too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH Harvest Gold Tupperware, I ♥ you...

    We are in hard rubbish mode here too - end of next week.

    Lovely husband is the same - cannot deal with the taking...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got the most gorgeous vintage 1930/ mirror from hard rubbish, a fabulous teak outdoor table and my Bunny's hutch has a white picket fence (started out life as cot sides) but look lovely as courtyard fencing for the bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like we're all in agreement about loving a curbside special here! I keep my eyes peeled when people are moving out of neighbouring buildings as they always leave things behind on the street... I've collected all my planters that way!

    x Catherine @ The Spring (in Sydney)
    http://www.thespringblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Same here Coal Valley View. Canberra offers no such roadside pick up (can you imagine the gold you'd be likely to find out the front of a diplomat's house, or a Prime Minister's even, lol). Instead, we have to pay ridiculously expensive fees to empty a trailer load of stuff that they pick through and sell at the seconds store at the tip. Someone is laughing all the way to the bank (ACT Govt I'm pointing the finger at you). The only thing likely to be out the front of someone's house these days is a burnt out car. Yes, Canberra, a city rich in contradiction, but not in awesome vintage Tupperware finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just amazed this doesn't happen in Canberra - the finds at those homes would be just amazing. We spent the weekend driving to two tips (opps, sorry, transfer stations, to buy some items but none of them actually sell anything, they must sell it on to other areas so they too are making a fortune, one when people dump their stuff and secondly when they sell it on.

      Delete
  11. Great find, vintage tupperware looks cool and is starting to get more collectable.

    Hard rubbish can be a treasure trove if you know where to look and what you are looking for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, and looking from the comments here, don't bother looking in Tassie or ACT!

      Delete
  12. What a great find. I would have snapped up the Tupperware as well. It last years and is still so expensive to buy brand new.

    I haven't found any gems during our council pick up but a lot of people have taken things that we have put out. It doesn't bother me. Once it's out on the verge anyone is welcome to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some retro chairs today and was driving back to get them when a van pulled up and got them - I nearly jumped out saying "Hey, they are mine, they are mine!"

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha. That would have been hilarious to witness had you gone through with that.

      Delete
  13. Great find indeed. I've found some great things in council cleanups ....my hubby is like yours ;-) .

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!