I asked them to come over, have a little snack, and chat for a couple of hours.
I had to find five friends to come over (some said no - even when I was paying them!) and we all sat around the dining room table, and talked about kitchen towel and toilet paper.
All in the name of research.
Market research is important for your business and one of the best ways to get it is by asking your clients, or potential clients about how they use your product, why they don't use your product, or what affects their decisions around your product or service. There are lots of opinions, even on what we wipe poo with. Pattern or no pattern, packaging, scented rolls, the list goes on and on. But also they have ideas...one idea from the our focus group I am expecting to be sent straight to the R&D team for fine tuning.
During the focus group I realised just how set in my ways I was about the paper products I buy.
I thought I was pretty relaxed about something so basic but I learnt that:
- I never consider the option of buying home brand toilet paper
- No matter what marketing you provided I probably wouldn't buy scented toilet paper.
- I don't use paper towel, thinking them an environmental waste, but I use shower wipes, window wipes, baby wipes...
- I don't know how many tissues are in the box of tissues I buy or the price per tissue
- I use a 'stick' to store our toilet paper on, others find this tacky or even germy and never use the roll at the bottom, they throw that one out.
- I keep tissues in the kitchen - not everyone does this, each home has a 'home' for their tissues.
|Very boring image showing where I keep my tissues. Research people like this.|
If you are a business, do you regularly ask your clients about your product/service? Because you see even the humble tissue has a lot to be discussed.
For coming over and participating in this research my friends each got $70, a night away from the kids and a chat.
Easy money. Good for us and good for them.
Would you come over to my place if I was going to pay you...even if you had to talk about toilet paper?