- A child needs to start by recognising the feeling that they have means that they need to wee or poo.
- They have to acknowledge that when this feeling comes, the wee or poo comes out.
- They have to remember that they need to make it to a designated area, be that the toilet or a potty (let’s hope it is usually in the same area, move that potty around and you are making it harder).
- The child, once making it to the toilet needs to remove all the items of clothing, buttons or zips that are tricky for little fingers
- Then climb up/on to the designated area, (remembering to hold on to that wee or poo that wants to come out).
- This is all to be done while the child most likely wants to be back in the sand pit, trampoline, bean bag etc.
- The follow up wiping, washing, redressing just adds to the tasks going through the little minds.